SIXTH SUNDAY OF EASTER
We thank our student ministers, Ashia and Shawn
- The Ringing of the Bell
- Words of Welcome – Pastor Joel Weible
- Prelude: “Voluntary No. 1” – William Boyce
- Call to Worship – Ashia Stoess
- Leader: Happy are those who delight in God’s teachings.
- People: And meditate on them day and night.
- Leader: They are like trees planted in streams of water.
- People: Yielding fruit in due season and their leaves do not wither.
- ALL: LET US DELIGHT IN GOD TOGETHER
- Hymn 267: “All Things Bright and Beautiful” – ROYAL OAK
- Call to Confession and Prayer (unison)
- Gracious God, you encourage us with your love, bringing new life out of death. We confess that we need your life-giving power in our lives and our relationships. We have hurt others and been hurt by them. We are often angry or afraid. We are not sure when to assert our needs and when to care for others’ needs. We continue to live in ways which do not lead to peace and justice. Forgive us, O God. Pour your Spirit of wisdom and healing upon us, that by our lives and our loving, we may glorify you, through Jesus Christ the Risen One. Hear our silent prayers of return …
- Assurance of Pardon
- Leader: God loves us and frees us from all that we do to turn away from the transformative power of belief.
- People: God hears our cries and questions, and promises to remain in covenant with us.
- Leader: In the name of the Risen One, who came, who comes, and who is to come again, the heavy weight of our doubt is lifted.
- People: We are forgiven and may begin again to love as Christ loves.
- ALL: ALLELUIA! AMEN.
- Response, Hymn 106: “Alleluia, Alleluia! Give Thanks” – ALLELUIA NO. 1
- Passing of the Peace
- Time for Young Disciples – Ashia Stoess
- Anthem: The Men’s Quartet, Bob Borders, Matt Killion, James Bates, Richard Ray – “I Shall Know Him” – arranged by James Bates
- Scripture: Acts 11:1-18
- Sermon: A SURPRISING GOSPEL, A SURPRISING SPIRIT – Shawn Harmon, Student Minister
- Download the sermon to play on your own device: 050618 sermon sh
- Hymn 324: “Open My Eyes That I May See” – OPEN MY EYES
- Affirmation of Faith – from A BRIEF STATEMENT OF FAITH
- In life and death we belong to God. Through the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, the love of God, and the communion of the Holy Spirit, we trust in one triune God, the Holy One of Israel, whom alone we worship and serve. With believers in every time and place, we rejoice that nothing in life or death can separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord. Amen.
- Time of Giving Thanks
- Prayers of the People and the Lord’s Prayer
- Offertory: “Blessed Assurance” – arranged by Robert Hobby
- Doxology 592: “Praise God, from Whom All Blessings Flow”
- Prayer of Dedication (unison)
- Holy God, we give you thanks and praise for light and life and love. Above all, we give thanks for the presence of the living Lord among us. By your Spirit that breathes within us, strengthen our faith, use our gifts, and work in our lives to bear witness to the resurrection that is possible every day of our lives. Amen.
- SACRAMENT OF COMMUNION
- Communion setting 1: “On Eagle’s Wings” – arranged by David Paxton
- Communion setting 2: “I Love You, Lord” – arranged by Lani Smith
- Litany of Thanksgiving and Sending for Ashia and Shawn (Student Ministers)
- Hymn 386: “O for a World” – AZMON
- Charge and Benediction
- The Ringing of the Bell
- Postlude: “Hail Thee, Festival Day!” – arranged by Franklin D. Ashdown