EPIPHANY OF THE LORD SUNDAY
- The Ringing of the Bell
- Words of Welcome – Rev. Joel Weible, Pastor
- Prelude: Intrada on the Twelfth Day of Christmas – EGIL HOVLAND
- Call to Worship – Kathy Bott and congregation
- Leader: God calls the young.
- The Young: Speak, for your servants are listening.
- Leader: God calls the old.
- The Old: Speak, for your servants are listening.
- Leader: God calls men.
- Men: Speak, for your servants are listening.
- Leader: God calls women.
- Women: Speak, for your servants are listening.
- Leader: God calls us all – young and old, men and women, rich and poor, white, red, brown, and yellow – God calls us all.
- ALL: LET US SING OUT FOR OUR GOD IS LISTENING!
- Hymn 69: O Morning Star, How Fair and Bright – WIE SCHON LEUCHTET
- Call to Confession and Prayer (unison)
- Patient God, repeatedly – day by day, hour by hour, minute by minute – you call us to serve you. But your voice is drowned out by the noise we have created to isolate ourselves from you and those around us: the noise of our televisions, our iPhones, and our surround sound systems; the noise of our politics, our marketing, and even our own voices. Forgive us … Forgive us and quiet us, God. Teach us to listen for your voice, that we may know ourselves in you, and know what you would have us be and have us do. In Christ’s name, hear our silent prayers of return …
- Assurance of Pardon – Kathy Bott and congregation
- Leader: Friends, speak the good news of our salvation.
- People: God freely bestows grace on us through Jesus Christ.
- Leader: In Christ we receive redemption and forgiveness.
- People: We are reconciled to God and one another.
- ALL: GLORY BE TO GOD. ALLELUIA! AMEN.
- Response 411: Arise, Your Light Is Come! – FESTAL SONG
- Passing of the Peace
- Anthem: The Chancel Choir – Jesu, Joy of Man’s Desiring – J.S. BACH
- Scripture: Isaiah 60:1-6
- Sermon: THIS FUTURE CHURCH – Rev. Joel Weible, Pastor
- Download the sermon to play on your own audio device: 010619 SERMON jw
- Hymn 418: God, Bless Your Church with Strength! – ICH HALTE TREULICH STILL
- Affirmation of Faith (unison) – from the IONA COMMUNITY
- With the whole church … We affirm that we are made in God’s image, befriended by Christ, and empowered by the Spirit.
- With people everywhere … We affirm God’s goodness at the heart of humanity, planted more deeply than all that is wrong.
- With all creation … We affirm and celebrate the miracle and wonder of life and the unfolding purposes of God, forever at work in ourselves and the world. Amen.
- Time of Giving Thanks – Rev. Joel Weible, Pastor
- Prayers of the People and the Lord’s Prayer
- Offertory: How Brightly Shines Yon Star of Morn – J.S. BACH
- Doxology 592: Praise God, from Whom All Blessings Flow
- Prayer of Dedication (unison)
- We thank you, God of love, for the promise that is ours to keep because of Jesus of Nazareth. We are grateful for the generosity aroused in us by Christ’s coming into the world. May these gifts represent a new spirit of joyous sharing among us, for the sake of all your children everywhere. Amen.
- SACRAMENT OF COMMUNION
- Music Setting 1: Blest are They – David Haas
- Music Setting 2: His Eye is on the Sparrow – Wilbur Held
- Hymn 229: From All That Dwell Below the Skies – LASST UNS ERFREUEN
- Charge and Benediction
- The Ringing of the Bell
- Postlude: Toccata on Three Kings’ Day – F.D. ASHDOWN