SIXTEENTH SUNDAY AFTER PENTECOST
- The Ringing of the Bell
- Words of Welcome – Rev. Joel Weible, Pastor
- Prelude: “Rhosymedre” – arranged by Ralph Vaughan Williams
- Call to Worship – Shawn Harmon, Seminarian Minister and congregation
- Leader: From the ends of the earth, we are gathered together …
- People: The poor, and the rich, the joyful, the sorrowful, the honored, and the despised.
- Leader: We are gathered in one community,
- People: Reflecting the love and life of God.
- ALL: WE HAVE COME FROM MANY WORLDS BUT WE WORSHIP GOD AS ONE!
- Hymn 461: “God Is Here!” – ABBOT’S LEIGH
- Call to Confession and Prayer (unison)
- O God, you search after us when we have gone far from you, yet we confess that we have become consumed with our own affairs. We seldom pause to listen for the wind in the trees or hear the happy voices of children. Sometimes we feel that the burdens of the world fall entirely on our shoulders, and we have been slow to put our trust in you or to cooperate with others. When we take ourselves seriously, make us patient with our mistakes. Remind us that we are also precious, not because we are good but because you have accepted us and called us to be your very own. In Christ’s name, hear our silent prayers of return…
- Assurance of Pardon – Shawn Harmon and congregation
- Leader: With God, there is no chasm that cannot be bridged, no loss that cannot be recovered, no mistake that cannot be forgiven, and no life that cannot be redeemed.
- People: By the grace of God in Christ Jesus, our sins are forgiven and the ability to begin again is ours.
- Leader: Glory be to God who makes all things new!
- People: Amen.
- Response 322: “Spirit of the Living God” – LIVING GOD
- Time for Young Disciples – Christiaan Faul
- Sacrament of Baptism – Rev. Joel Weible, Pastor
- Hymn 492: “Baptized in Water” – BUNESSAN
- Anthem: “I Have Called You By Your Name” – Emily Crocker
- The Chancel Choir
- Scripture: Exodus 16:1-15
- Sermon: WILDERNESS PROVISIONS – Reverend Joel Weible, Pastor
- Download the sermon to play on your own audio device: 092417 sermon jw
- Hymn 391: “Take My Life” – HENDON (stanzas 1, 2, 5, and 6 only)
- Affirmation of Faith – Shawn Harmon and congregation
- We believe that God hopes and works for a world where all shall be included in the feast of life and that in Christ we see how costly it is to bring that world about.
- We believe that God of all the earth is at work beyond the churches as well as within them, working for justice so that all may have a say in what happens to them.
- We long for the time when all who hunger and thirst for justice shall be satisfied and we believe that despite the persistence of evil, now is always the time when more good can be done and we can make a difference. Amen.
- Time of Giving Thanks – Rev. Joel Weible, Pastor
- Prayers of the People and the Lord’s Prayer
- Offertory: “I Can Only Imagine” – Bart Millard
- Doxology 592: “Praise God, from Whom All Blessings Flow”
- Prayer of Dedication (unison)
- One and Eternal God of time and space, we respond to you with joy as we lift up our tithes and offerings. The opportunity to share is a blessing for which we are very thankful. Your generous provision for our needs prompts us to be generous in return. Accomplish your purposes, we pray, through these gifts and in our lives. Amen.
- Hymn 435: “We All Are One in Mission” – ES FLOG EIN KLEINS WALDVOGELEIN
- Charge and Benediction – Rev. Joel Weible, Pastor
- The Ringing of the Bell
- Postlude: “Rise, O Children of Salvation” – arranged by David Cherwien