EIGHTEENTH SUNDAY AFTER PENTECOST
- The Ringing of the Bell
- Words of Welcome – Ed Staats
- Prelude: “Herr Jesu Christ, dich zu uns wend,” (“Lord Jesus Christ, Be Present Now”) – arranged by Donald Busarow
- Call to Worship – Ed Staats and congregation
- Leader: From the ends of the earth, we are gathered together …
- People: The poor, and the rich, the joyful, the sorrowful, the honored, and the despised.
- Leader: We are gathered in one community,
- People: Reflecting the love and life of God.
- ALL: WE HAVE COME FROM MANY WORLDS BUT WE WORSHIP GOD AS ONE!
- Hymn 461: “God Is Here!” – ABBOT’S LEIGH
- Call to Confession and Prayer (unison)
- O God, you search after us when we have gone far from you, yet we confess that we have become consumed with our own affairs. We seldom pause to listen for the wind in the trees or hear the happy voices of children. Sometimes we feel that the burdens of the world fall entirely on our shoulders, and we have been slow to put our trust in you or to cooperate with others. When we take ourselves seriously, make us patient with our mistakes. Remind us that we are also precious, not because we are good but because you have accepted us and called us to be your very own. In Christ’s name, hear our silent prayers of return …
- Assurance of Pardon – Ed Staats and congregation
- Leader: With God, there is no chasm that cannot be bridged, no loss that cannot be recovered, no mistake that cannot be forgiven, and no life that cannot be redeemed.
- People: By the grace of God in Christ Jesus, our sins are forgiven and the ability to begin again is ours.
- ALL: GLORY BE TO GOD WHO MAKES ALL THINGS NEW!
- Response 322: “Spirit of the Living God” – LIVING GOD
- Passing of the Peace
- Anthem: “Now Let Every Tongue Adore Thee” – J.S. Bach
- Scripture: Genesis 32: 22-31
- Sermon: JOINING THE STRUGGLE – Rev. Dr. Elizabeth Hinson-Hasty, Guest Speaker
- Hymn 339: “Be Thou My Vision” – SLANE
- Time of Giving Thanks
- Prayers of the People and the Lord’s Prayer
- Call to Offering and Offering
- Offertory: “Largo from La Pastorella” – Antonio Vivaldi
- Doxology 592: “Praise God, from Whom All Blessings Flow”
- Prayer of Dedication (unison)
- One and Eternal God of time and space, we respond to you with joy as we lift up our tithes and offerings. The opportunity to share is a blessing for which we are very thankful. Your generous provision for our needs prompts us to be generous in return. Accomplish your purposes, we pray, through these gifts and in our lives. Amen.
- Hymn 435: “We All Are One in Mission” – ES FLOG EIN KLEINS WALDVOGELEIN
- Charge and Benediction
- The Ringing of the Bell
- Postlude: “Alla Hornpipe” – G.F. Handel