Eighteenth Sunday after Pentecost
- The Ringing of the Bell
- Words of Welcome – Rev. Joel Weible, Pastor
- Prelude: “Holy Spirit, Truth Divine” (A setting on SONG 13) – Franklin D. Ashdown
- Call to Worship – Christiaan Faul and congregation
- Leader: God has given us this beautiful earth and all that grows and runs upon it.
- People: Let us give back as we give thanks to God.
- Leader: God has given us breath to live and spirit to sing.
- People: Let us live fully and sing loudly as we give thanks to God.
- Leader: God has gathered us into a community of care and worship.
- ALL: LET US WORSHIP GOD WITH LOVE, THANKSGIVING, AND PRAISE.
- Hymn 425: “Lord of Light, Your Name Outshining” – ABBOT’S LEIGH
- Call to Confession and Prayer (unison)
- Gracious God, we come humbly in prayer to you: For anger, impatience, and quickness to misunderstand – forgive us. For thoughtlessness, indifferences, and self-centering – forgive us. For unkindness and the lack of kindness – forgive us. For not speaking out against injustice and suffering – forgive us. For all the times we have not followed Jesus in the way of love – forgive, heal, and transform us anew into your servant people. In Christ’s name, hear our silent prayers of return …
- Assurance of Pardon – Christiaan Faul and congregation
- Leader: With God, there is no chasm that cannot be bridged, no loss that cannot be recovered, no mistake that cannot be forgiven, and no life that cannot be redeemed.
- People: By the grace of God in Christ Jesus, our sins are forgiven and the ability to begin again is ours.
- Leader: Glory be to God who makes all things new!
- People: Amen.
- Response 322: “Spirit of the Living God” – LIVING GOD
- Time for Young Disciples – Shawn Harmon, Seminarian Minister
- Anthem: “Up to the Hills I Will Lift My Eyes” – Normand Gouin
- Scripture: Exodus 17:1-7
- Sermon: STRIKING THE ROCK – Reverend Joel Weible, Pastor
- Download the sermon to play on your own audio device: 100817 sermon jw
- Hymn 281: “Guide Me, O Thou Great Jehovah” – CWM RHONDDA
- Affirmation of Faith for Stewardship Season – Christiaan Faul and congregation
- We believe in God, Creator of the Universe, Giver of every good gift, Author of Life itself.
- We believe in Jesus Christ who reminded us that God’s Kingdom is already among us and commanded us to care for those in need. Who taught us not to store up treasures on earth, but to empty ourselves in self-giving love.
- We believe in the Holy Spirit, who inspires us to the faithful stewardship of God’s gifts and in whom we live and move and have our being.
- We believe that stewardship is an act of worship and a means of praising God who has blessed us so abundantly. God has great things in store for us, for it is in giving that we receive. Amen
- Time of Giving Thanks – Rev. Joel Weible, Pastor
- Prayers of the People and the Lord’s Prayer
- Offertory: “It is Well with My Soul” – arranged by Eleanor Whitsett
- Doxology 592: “Praise God, from Whom All Blessings Flow”
- Prayer of Dedication (unison)
- Loving God, we dedicate this morning’s offering in prayer – our commitments to the present and our promises for the year ahead. The coins and paper are our work, expressing in a clear and visible way our love and thanks. But we also offer the fragile dreams and hopes that we have for this church and its future. Receive all, we pray, for it is offered in love. Amen
- Hymn 263: “Immortal, Invisible, God Only Wise” – ST. DENIO
- Charge and Benediction – Rev. Joel Weible, Pastor
- The Ringing of the Bell
- Postlude: “Celebration on HYFRYDOL” – arranged by Charles Callahan