TWENTY-FIRST SUNDAY AFTER PENTECOST/REFORMATION SUNDAY
- The Ringing of the Bell
- Words of Welcome – Rev. Joel Weible, Pastor
- Prelude: “Komm, Heiliger Geist (Come, Holy Ghost)” – Matthais Weckmann
- Call to Worship – Student Minister, Shawn Harmon and congregation
- Leader: God calls people from the farthest places of the earth.
- People: From east and west, from north and south, the people of God gather together.
- Leader: From all ways of life and every experience, the people of God gather together.
- People: We have heard God’s call, too, and come as this congregation to be the gathered people of God.
- ALL: LET US WORSHIP GOD TOGETHER!
- Hymn 275: “God of Our Life” – SANDON
- Call to Confession and Prayer (unison)
- Majestic and merciful God, once again we come before you a wayward people. We too often forget your intentions for us and reject the way of Christ; we disregard the power of your Spirit and we worship ourselves and the things we have made. Forgive us, restore us in the knowledge of whose we are, and make us alive to serve you with faith, hope, and love. In Christ’s name hear our silent prayers …
- Assurance of Pardon – Student Minister, Shawn Harmon and congregation
- Leader: With God, there is no chasm that cannot be bridged, no loss that cannot be recovered, no mistake that cannot be forgiven, and no life that cannot be redeemed.
- People: By the grace of God in Christ Jesus, our sins are forgiven and the ability to begin again is ours.
- Leader: Glory be to God who makes all things new!
- People: Amen.
- Response 322: “Spirit of the Living God” – LIVING GOD
- Passing of the Peace
- Time for Young Disciples – Kim Pappas
- Anthem: “Lord, I Stretch My Hands to You” – J. ALTHOUSE;
- Men’s Quartet: James Bates, Richard Ray, Matt Killion, Bob Borders
- Scripture: Deuteronomy 34:1-8
- Sermon: POISED BEFORE THE PROMISE – Reverend Joel Weible, Pastor
- Download the sermon to play on your own audio device: 102917 SERMON jw
- Hymn 339: “Be Thou My Vision” – SLANE
- Affirmation of Faith for Stewardship Season – Student Minister, Shawn Harmon and congregation
- We believe in God, Creator of the Universe, Giver of every good gift, Author of Life itself.
- We believe in Jesus Christ who reminded us that God’s Kingdom is already among us and commanded us to care for those in need. Who taught us not to store up treasures on earth, but to empty ourselves in self-giving love.
- We believe in the Holy Spirit, who inspires us to the faithful stewardship of God’s gifts and in whom we live and move and have our being.
- We believe that stewardship is an act of worship and a means of praising God who has blessed us so abundantly. God has great things in store for us, for it is in giving that we receive. Amen.
- Time of Giving Thanks – Rev. Joel Weible, Pastor
- Minute for Mission – Jim Trimpe
- Prayers of the People and the Lord’s Prayer
- Offertory: “Vater unser (Our Father, God in Heaven Above)” – Max Reger
- Doxology 592: “Praise God, from Whom All Blessings Flow”
- Prayer of Dedication (unison)
- Loving God, we dedicate this morning’s offering in prayer. The coins and paper are our work, expressing in a clear and visible way our love and thanks. But we also offer the fragile dreams and hopes that we have for this church and its future. Receive all, we pray, for it is offered in love. Amen
- Hymn 491: “Stand Up and Bless the Lord” – CARLISLE (stanzas 1, 3, and 5 only)
- Charge and Benediction – Rev. Joel Weible, Pastor
- The Ringing of the Bell
- Postlude: “Ein’ Fest Burg (A Mighty Fortress Is Our God)” – arranged by Eleanor Whitsett