TWENTY-THIRD SUNDAY AFTER PENTECOST/DEDICATION SUNDAY
- The Ringing of the Bell
- Words of Welcome – Rev. Joel Weible, Pastor
- Prelude: “Nun bitten wir den Heilgen Geist” (A Prayer to the Holy Ghost) – Dietrich Buxtehude
- Call to Worship – Christiaan Faul and congregation
- Leader: In the beginning God created all things, declaring them to be good.
- People: When God created women and men, we were given the charge to care for all creation.
- Leader: As God’s days of creation ceased, ours began.
- People: Our God-given gifts are to be used to continue God’s creative work.
- ALL: WE GATHER ON THIS MORNING TO GIVE THANKS AND TO SHARE THIS TASK. LET US BEGIN …
- Hymn 477: “Ye Servants of God, Your Master Proclaim” – HANOVER
- Call to Confession and Prayer (unison)
- Gracious God, deliver us from arrogance and empty vanities. Prevent us from trying to raise ourselves by lowering others. Cast down our pride that we may grow in humility. Take away the barriers of self-defense; grant us the firm security that comes from trust in you and is built with neighborly cooperation and mutual respect. Lead us in the lowly steps of Jesus until we attain the end of a pure joy, through Christ. In his name, hear our silent prayers of return …
- Assurance of Pardon – Christiaan Faul and congregation
- Leader: With God, there is no chasm that cannot be bridged, no loss that cannot be recovered, no mistake that cannot be forgiven, and no life that cannot be redeemed.
- People: By the grace of God in Christ Jesus, our sins are forgiven and the ability to begin again is ours.
- Leader: Glory be to God who makes all things new!
- People: Amen.
- Response 322: “Spirit of the Living God” – LIVING GOD
- Passing of the Peace
- Time for Young Disciples – Mike Yelton
- Anthem: “Rain Down” – arranged by John Carter
- Scripture: Joshua 24:1-8, 13-15
- Sermon: CHOOSE THIS DAY – Reverend Joel Weible, Pastor
- Download the sermon to play on your own audio device: 111217 SERMON jw
- Hymn 414: “As Those of Old Their Firstfruits Brought” – FOREST GREEN
- Affirmation of Faith for Stewardship Season – Christiaan Faul and congregation
- We believe in God, Creator of the Universe, Giver of every good gift, Author of Life itself.
- We believe in Jesus Christ who reminded us that God’s Kingdom is already among us and commanded us to care for those in need. Who taught us not to store up treasures on earth, but to empty ourselves in self-giving love.
- We believe in the Holy Spirit, who inspires us to the faithful stewardship of God’s gifts and in whom we live and move and have our being.
- We believe that stewardship is an act of worship and a means of praising God who has blessed us so abundantly. God has great things in store for us, for it is in giving that we receive. Amen.
- Time of Giving Thanks – Rev. Joel Weible, Pastor
- Prayers of the People and the Lord’s Prayer
- Offertory: “You Raise Me Up” – arranged by Joel Raney
- Doxology 592: “Praise God, from Whom All Blessings Flow”
- Prayer for Dedication Sunday
- Congregational Meeting – Elder Election
- Hymn 555: “Now Thank We All Our God” – NUN DANKET ALLE GOTT
- Charge and Benediction – Rev. Joel Weible, Pastor
- The Ringing of the Bell
- Postlude: “Songs of Thankfulness and Praise” – arranged by David Cherwien