- The Ringing of the Bell
- Words of Welcome – Rev. Joel Weible, Pastor
- Prelude: “Steal Away” – arranged by K. Kaiser, Shirley Hawkes, guest pianist
- Call to Worship – Richard Ray
- Leader: Do not give easy or unthinking responses to this day’s call to worship, for today we ask God’s Spirit to fill us.
- People: So that we may prophesy, dream dreams, and have visions.
- Leader: The call to worship today is a summons to be touched by holy fire!
- People: Even now the flames dance above our heads!
- ALL: WE WOULD BE PROPHETS, VISIONARIES AND DREAMERS! LET US WORHIP WITH COURAGE AND WITH HOPE!
- Hymn 128: “On Pentecost They Gathered” – MUNICH
- Call to Confession and Prayer (unison)
- Almighty and ever gracious God, we confess that we have failed to open our hearts to the power of your Spirit. We continue the divisions of Babel, speaking in tongues that confound rather than clarify, hurt rather than heal, and separate rather than unite. Though we are not deserving, we pray for the gift of fellowship that confirms your presence among us. Restore our fractured lives that we, with one voice, may ever give you thanks and praise. In Christ’s name, hear our silent prayers …
- Assurance of Pardon – Richard Ray
- Leader: There is no greater joy in the heart of God than the moment that a son or daughter opens to the gift of forgiveness.
- People: God’s Spirit reaches out to assure us of welcome in Christ.
- Leader: In the name of Jesus Christ we are God’s by grace, forgiven and redeemed.
- People: With great joy we are made alive. Alleluia!
- ALL: AMEN.
- Response, No. 322: “Spirit of the Living God” – LIVING GOD
- Passing of the Peace
- Time for Young Disciples – Margaret Hill
- Anthem: “Rain Down” – Jaime Cortez
- Scripture: Acts 2:1-12
- Sermon: THERE AND BACK AGAIN: A CHRISTIAN’S TALE – Rev. Joel Weible, Pastor
- Download the sermon to play on your own audio device: 052018 SERMON jw
- Hymn 319: “Spirit” – SPIRIT
- Affirmation of Faith – from A BRIEF STATEMENT OF FAITH
- In a broken and fearful world, the Spirit gives us courage to pray without ceasing, to witness among all peoples to Christ as Lord and Savior, to unmask idolatries in Church and culture, to hear voices of peoples long silenced, and to work with others for justice, freedom, and peace. In gratitude to God, empowered by the Spirit, we strive to serve Christ in our daily tasks and to live holy and joyful lives. Amen
- Time of Giving Thanks – Rev. Joel Weible, Pastor
- Celebrations and Recognitions of Service
- Prayers of the People and the Lord’s Prayer
- Call to Offering and Offering
- Offertory: “Hymn Medley” – Shirley Hawkes, guest pianist
- Doxology 592: “Praise God From Whom All Blessings Flow”
- Prayer of Dedication (unison)
- O God, on this day of Pentecost we celebrate your Spirit so freely given and so powerfully active within our church. As that Spirit moves in our midst, may it inspire us toward generosity and fire us with energy to serve you well. Receive our humble gifts in the name of Christ, whose presence is certain when the Spirit is with us. Amen.
- Hymn 466: “O for a Thousand Tongues to Sing” – AZMON
- Charge and Benediction – Rev. Joel Weible, Pastor
- The Ringing of the Bell
- Postlude: “His Name So Sweet” – arranged by K. Kaiser