- Words of Welcome – John Bott, Worship Leader
- Prelude: “How Lovely Are The Messengers (That Preach Us The Gospel of Peace)” – F. Mendelssohn
- Call to Worship – John Bott and congregation
- Leader: O give thanks to the Lord, call on God’s name, make known God’s deeds among all peoples!
- People: Sing to God, sing praises to God; tell of all God’s wonderful works!
- Leader: See the Lord, seek God’s presence always!
- People: Remember the wonderful works that God has done!
- ALL: LET US WORSHIP THE LORD TOGETHER! AMEN.
- Hymn 274: “O God of Earth and Space” – LEONI
- Call to Confession and Prayer (unison)
- What then are we to say about these things? Since God is for us, who can be against us? Let us pray together: Holy God, we try to fix and fasten you, but you will not be stayed. You are love in motion; always breathing us into being, calling us to serve, and sustaining us in the wilderness. Come to us as this morning breaks. Transform our withered imaginations, soften what has grown dry and brittle in our hearts, and nurture the love that is planted more deeply than all of our hate and prejudice. We pray in the name of the One you sent and through the Spirit that gives us life. In Christ’s name, hear our silent prayers of return …
- Assurance of Pardon – John Bott and congregation
- Leader: God loves us and frees us from all that we do to turn away from the transformative power of belief.
- People: God hears our cries and questions, and promises to remain in covenant with us.
- Leader: In the name of the Risen One, who came, who comes, and who is to come again, the heavy weight of our doubt is lifted.
- People: We are forgiven and may begin again to love as Christ loves.
- ALL: ALLELUIA! AMEN.
- Response 298: “There’s a Wideness in God’s Mercy” – IN BABILONE (stanza 1 only)
- Scripture: Matthew 13:31-33
- Sermon: THE SMALL THING IN THE GREAT THING – Rev. Dr. Wayne Willis, Guest Pastor
- Download the sermon to play on your own audio device: 073017 sermon WW
- Hymn 398: “There’s a Sweet, Sweet Spirit” – SWEET, SWEET SPIRIT
- Affirmation of Faith: The Apostles’ Creed – John Bott and congregation
- I believe in God the Father Almighty, Maker of heaven and earth,
- And in Jesus Christ his only son our Lord; who was conceived by the Holy Ghost, born of the Virgin Mary, suffered under Pontius Pilate, was crucified, dead, and buried; he descended into hell; the third day he rose again from the dead; he ascended into heaven, and sitteth on the right hand of God the Father Almighty; from thence he shall come to judge the quick and the dead.
- I believe in the Holy Ghost; the holy catholic church; the communion of saints; the forgiveness of sins; the resurrection of the body; and the life everlasting. Amen.
- Time of Giving Thanks – John Bott, Worship Leader
- Prayers of the People and the Lord’s Prayer – Rev. Dr. Wayne Willis, Guest Pastor
- Offertory: Triptych on “Hope” – arranged by Matt Killion
- Doxology 592: “Praise God, from Whom All Blessings Flow”
- Prayer of Dedication (unison)
One and Eternal God of time and space, we respond to you with joy as we lift up our tithes and offerings. The opportunity to share is a blessing for which we are very thankful. Your generous provision for our needs prompts us to be generous in return. Accomplish your purposes, we pray, through these gifts and in our lives. Amen.
- Hymn 332: “Live Into Hope” – TRURO
- Charge and Benediction – Rev. Dr. Wayne Willis, Guest Pastor
- Postlude: Toccata from “Suite Gothique” Leon Boellmann