SEVENTH SUNDAY AFTER PENTECOST
- The Ringing of the Bell
- Words of Welcome – Rev. Joel Weible, Pastor
- Prelude: “Alla Hornpipe” – G.F. Handel (1685 – 1759)
- Call to Worship – Richard Ray and congregation
- Leader: We have been called here to discern the faithful road and to choose the way of God’s justice.
- People: We are here because we believe strongly that our God is good and that we live in that goodness.
- Leader: We come together to be God’s people.
- People: To follow Christ and listen for the good things God has done.
- ALL: LET US RISE UP IN PRAISE AND THANKSGIVING!
- Hymn 481: “Praise the Lord, God’s Glories Show” – LLANFAIR
- Call to Confession and Prayer (unison)
- Even when we are too busy to notice, O God, you are constantly loving us and encouraging us to grow. We trust you in our deepest confession and so we pray: Forgive us for making ourselves too busy and worried to notice you at work in our lives. Forgive us for being too anxious about what we can’t control and worried about what other people think of us. Forgive us for resenting those who act freely and being angered by those whose service draws attention away from us. Free us, body and soul, for your service of love and grace. Hear our silent prayers of return …
- Assurance of Pardon – Richard Ray and congregation
- Leader: God loves us and frees us from all that we do to turn away from the transformative power of belief.
- People: God hears our cries and questions, and promises to remain in covenant with us.
- Leader: In the name of the Risen One, who came, who comes, and who is to come again, the heavy weight of our doubt is lifted.
- People: We are forgiven and may begin again to love as Christ loves.
- ALL: ALLELUIA! AMEN.
- Response 298: “There’s a Wideness in God’s Mercy” – IN BABILONE (stanza 1 only)
- Time for Young Disciples – Katie Weible
- Anthem: “In the Garden” – C. AUSTIN MILES (Margaret Hill and Walter Anderson)
- Scripture: Genesis 4:17-22, 24-26
- Sermon: IN THE WILDERNESS: A COMMUNITY – Reverend Joel Weible, Pastor
- Download the sermon to play on your own audio device: 072317 sermon jw
- Hymn 367: “Jesu, Jesu, Fill Us with Your Love” – CHEREPONI
- Affirmation of Faith: The Apostles’ Creed – Richard Ray and congregation
- I believe in God the Father Almighty, Maker of heaven and earth,
- And in Jesus Christ his only son our Lord; who was conceived by the Holy Ghost, born of the Virgin Mary, suffered under Pontius Pilate, was crucified, dead, and buried; he descended into hell; the third day he rose again from the dead; he ascended into heaven, and sitteth on the right hand of God the Father Almighty; from thence he shall come to judge the quick and the dead.
- I believe in the Holy Ghost; the holy catholic church; the communion of saints; the forgiveness of sins; the resurrection of the body; and the life everlasting. Amen.
- Time of Giving Thanks – Rev. Joel Weible, Pastor
- Prayers of the People and the Lord’s Prayer
- Offertory: “Jesus Loves Me” – arranged by David Paxton
- Doxology 592: “Praise God, from Whom All Blessings Flow”
- Prayer of Dedication (unison)
- One and Eternal God of time and space, we respond to you with joy as we lift up our tithes and offerings. The opportunity to share is a blessing for which we are very thankful. Your generous provision for our needs prompts us to be generous in return. Accomplish your purposes, we pray, through these gifts and in our lives. Amen.
- Hymn 412: “Eternal God, Whose Power Upholds” – FOREST GREEN (stanzas 1, 3, and 5 only)
- Charge and Benediction – Rev. Joel Weible, Pastor
- The Ringing of the Bell
- Postlude: “Prelude in E” – Camille Saint-Saens (1835 – 1921)