BAPTISM OF THE LORD SUNDAY
- The Ringing of the Bell
- Words of Welcome – Rev. Joel Weible, Pastor
- Prelude: “Christ, Our Lord, to the Jordan Came” – Dietrich Buxtehude (BuxWV 180)
- Call to Worship – Ed Staats and congregation
- Leader: God calls the young.
- The Young: Speak for your servants are listening.
- Leader: God calls the old.
- The Old: Speak for your servants are listening.
- Leader: God calls men.
- Men: Speak for your servants are listening.
- Leader: God calls women.
- Women: Speak for your servants are listening.
- Leader: God calls us all – young and old, men and women, rich and poor, white, red, brown, and yellow – God calls us all.
- ALL: LET US SING OUT FOR OUR GOD IS LISTENING!
- Hymn 229: “From All That Dwell Below the Skies” – LASST UNS ERFREUEN
- Call to Confession and Prayer (unison)
- Patient God, repeatedly – day by day, hour by hour, minute by minute – you call us to serve you. But your voice is drowned out by the noise we have created to isolate ourselves from you and those around us: the noise of our televisions, our iPods, and our surround sound systems; the noise of our politics, our marketing, and even our own voices. Forgive us … Forgive us and quiet us, God. Teach us to listen for your voice, that we may know ourselves in you, and know what you would have us be and have us do. In Christ’s name, hear our silent prayers of return …
- Assurance of Pardon – Ed Staats and congregation
- Leader: Friends, speak the good news of our salvation.
- People: God freely bestows grace on us through Jesus Christ.
- Leader: In Christ we receive redemption and forgiveness.
- People: And we are reconciled to God and one another.
- ALL: GLORY BE TO GOD. ALLELUIA! AMEN.
- Response 411: “Arise, Your Light Is Come!” (first stanza only) – FESTAL SONG
- Passing of the Peace
- Time for Young Disciples – Rev. Joel Weible, Pastor
- Anthem: “The Work of Christmas” – Dan Forrest
- Scripture: Matthew 3:1-17
- Sermon: THE BELOVED – Rev. Joel Weible, Pastor
- Download the sermon to play on your own audio device: 010718 sermon jw
- INSTALLATION OF NEW ELDERS: Class of 2020
- (from left to right) – Hope Gardiner, Jay Poole, Nick Clark
- Hymn 525: “Here I Am, Lord” – HERE I AM, LORD
- Time of Giving Thanks – Rev. Joel Weible, Pastor
- Prayers of the People and the Lord’s Prayer
- Offertory: Variation on “BEECHER” – arranged by Joel Raney
- Doxology 592: “Praise God, from Whom All Blessings Flow”
- Prayer of Dedication (unison)
- We thank you, God of love, for the promise that is ours to keep because of Jesus of Nazareth. We are grateful for the generosity aroused in us by Christ’s coming into the world. May these gifts represent a new spirit of joyous sharing among us, for the sake of all your children everywhere. Amen.
- SACRAMENT OF COMMUNION (see liturgy in bulletin document at bottom of page)
- Communion setting 1: “Shall We Gather at the River?” – arranged by Robert Hobby
- Communion setting 2: “Come, Ye Disconsolate” – arranged by Dale Wood
- Hymn 538: “Lord, Dismiss Us with Thy Blessing” – SICILIAN MARINERS
- Charge and Benediction – Rev. Joel Weible, Pastor
- The Ringing of the Bell
- Postlude: “The Bell Symphony” – Henry Purcell