FOURTH SUNDAY AFTER EPIPHANY
- The Ringing of the Bell
- Words of Welcome – Reverend Joel Weible, Pastor
- Prelude: “Brother James’ Air” – arranged by M. Searle Wright
- Call to Worship – Christiaan Faul, Youth Minister, and congregation
- Leader: We have seen the light.
- People: We have heard the call.
- Leader: We will dance in the Light.
- People: We will heed the call.
- ALL: TO OUR GOD. LET US SING!
- Hymn 464: “Joyful, Joyful, We Adore Thee” – HYMN TO JOY
- Call to Confession and Prayer (unison)
- Gracious God, it is a privilege to be in this place with you and those we love, but it is just such a privilege that breeds arrogance rather than humility. We confess that too often we wear our church attendance like a badge of honor and our faith like a cloak of righteousness, standing in judgment of others who barely darken the church door or who find meaning in life elsewhere. Forgive us. Teach us the lessons of love and remind us that, for all our knowledge about the ways of faith, the most important thing is that we are loved by you. In Christ’s name, hear our silent prayers of return …
- Assurance of Pardon – Christiaan Faul and congregation
- Leader: Friends, speak the good news of our salvation.
- People: God freely bestows grace on us through Jesus Christ.
- Leader: In Christ we receive redemption and forgiveness.
- People: And we are reconciled to God and one another.
- ALL: ALLELUIA! AMEN.
- Response 579: “Glory Be to the Father” – GLORIA PATRI
- Passing of the Peace
- Time for Young Disciples – Shawn Harmon, Student Minister
- Anthem: “Here I Am, Lord” – arranged by Jack Schrader
- Scripture: Mark 1:21-28
- Sermon: OUT OF THE GATE – Reverend Joel Weible, Pastor
- Download the sermon to play on your own audio device: 012818 SERMON jw
- Hymn 522: “Lord, When I Came Into This Life” – LAND OF REST
- Affirmation of Faith: “The Apostles’ Creed” (unison)
- I believe in God the Father, Almighty, Maker of heaven and earth,
- And in Jesus Christ his only son, our Lord; who was conceived by the Holy Ghost, born of the Virgin Mary, suffered under Pontius Pilate, was crucified, dead, and buried; he descended into hell; the third day he rose again from the dead; he ascended into heaven, and sitteth on the right hand of God the Father Almighty; from thence he shall come to judge the quick and the dead.
- I believe in the Holy Ghost; the holy catholic church; the communion of saints; the forgiveness of sins; the resurrection of the body; and the life everlasting. Amen.
- Time of Giving Thanks – Reverend Joel Weible, Pastor
- Prayers of the People and the Lord’s Prayer
- Offertory: “Be Still My Soul” – arranged by Robert Hobby
- Doxology 592: “Praise God, from Whom All Blessings Flow”
- Prayer of Dedication (unison)
- We thank you, God of love, for the promise that is ours to keep because of Jesus of Nazareth. We are grateful for the generosity aroused in us by Christ’s coming into the world. May these gifts represent a new spirit of joyous sharing among us, for the sake of all your children everywhere. Amen.
- Hymn 466: “O for a Thousand Tongues to Sing” – AZMON
- Charge and Benediction – Reverend Joel Weible, Pastor
- The Ringing of the Bell
- Postlude: “Trumpet Tune in D” – David N. Johnson