THIRD SUNDAY AFTER EPIPHANY
Now THIS is how to start the day! (taken Saturday, January 20, 2018)
- The Ringing of the Bell
- Words of Welcome – Rev. Joel Weible, Pastor
- Prelude: “In Joyful Praise” – A. Laurence Lyon
- Call to Worship – Shawn Harmon (Student Minister) and congregation
- Leader: From God comes our salvation.
- People: For God alone our souls wait in silence.
- Leader: God alone is our rock and our salvation.
- People: God is my fortress; we shall never be shaken.
- ALL: LET US SING TO THE GOD OF OUR SALVATION
*Hymn 420 God of Grace and God of Glory CWM RHONDDA
- Call to Confession and Prayer (unison)
- Trusting in your promise of grace, forgiving God, we pour out our hearts to you and before one another. You call, but we do not listen. You show us your path, but we prefer our own way. You show yourself in the poor, the hungry and the lonely, but we look for you in the rich, the powerful, and the proud. You ask us to walk humbly, but we strut with pride. You ask us to live righteously, but we live selfishly. In this moment, however fleeting it may be, we repent of all the ways we turn from you. Forgive us, heal us, and lead us back to you, that we might show mercy to others. In Jesus’ name, hear our silent prayers of return …
- (A Time of Silence for Personal Confession)
- Assurance of Pardon – Shawn Harmon (Student Minister) and congregation
- Leader: Friends, speak the good news of our salvation.
- People: God freely bestows grace on us through Jesus Christ.
- Leader: In Christ we receive redemption and forgiveness.
- People: And we are reconciled to God and one another.
- ALL: GLORY BE TO GOD. ALLELUIA! AMEN.
- Response 579: “Glory Be to the Father” – GLORIA PATRI
- Passing of the Peace
- Time for Young Disciples – Ashia Huelsenbeck
- Anthem: “I Want to Walk as a Child of the Light” – Paul Manz
- The Chancel Choir
- Scripture: Mark 1:16-20
- Reflection: “FOLLOWING: A Moment and a Lifetime” – Rev. Joel Weible, Pastor
- Download the sermon to play on your own audio device: 012118 sermon JW
- Hymn 435: “We All Are One in Mission” – ES FLOG EIN KLEINS WALDVOGELEIN
- Affirmation of Faith (unison) – “The Apostles’ Creed”
- I believe in God the Father Almighty, Maker of heaven and earth,
- And in Jesus Christ his only Son our Lord; who was conceived by the Holy Ghost, born of the Virgin Mary, suffered under Pontius Pilate, was crucified, dead, and buried; he descended into hell; the third day he rose again from the dead; he ascended into heaven, and sitteth on the right hand of God the Father Almighty; from thence he shall come to judge the quick and the dead.
- I believe in the Holy Ghost; the holy catholic church; the communion of saints; the forgiveness of sins; the resurrection of the body; and the life everlasting. Amen.
- Time of Giving Thanks – Rev. Joel Weible, Pastor
- Prayers of the People and the Lord’s Prayer
- Offertory: “Day By Day” – arranged by J. Bert Carlson
- Doxology 592: “Praise God, from Whom All Blessings Flow”
- Prayer of Dedication (unison)
- We thank you, God of love, for the promise that is ours to keep because of Jesus of Nazareth. We are grateful for the generosity aroused in us by Christ’s coming into the world. May these gifts represent a new spirit of joyous sharing among us, for the sake of all your children everywhere. Amen.
- Hymn 434: “Today We All Are Called to Be Disciples” – KINGSFOLD
- Charge and Benediction – Rev. Joel Weible, Pastor
- The Ringing of the Bell
- Postlude: “Allegro” – Antonio Vivaldi