TRANSFIGURATION OF THE LORD SUNDAY
- The Ringing of the Bell
- Words of Welcome – Reverend Joel Weible, Pastor
- Prelude: “Transfiguration/Fairest Lord Jesus” – arranged by Gerre Hancock
- Call to Worship – Ashia Stoess and congregation
- Leader: The glory of God shines like a consuming fire.
- People: We see the glory of God in the life of Jesus Christ.
- Leader: Out of life itself, God speaks.
- People: This is my beloved Son; listen to him!
- ALL: WE GATHER WITH EARS OPEN TO WORSHIP GOD.
- Hymn 474: “O Splendor of God’s Glory Bright” – PUER NOBIS NASCITUR
- Call to Confession and Prayer (unison)
- God of all glory, beauty, and grace, we have tried to hide from you – to hide our face, to hide all that we do wrong – yet you have never hidden your love for us. We have tried to search for you – in temples, in clouds, on mountaintops – yet you have already revealed yourself to us in the life of Jesus Christ. Forgive us, and transform us so that our lives, too, may shine with your glory, beauty, and grace. In Christ’s name, hear our silent prayers of return …
- Assurance of Pardon – Ashia Stoess and congregation
- Leader: Everyone who asks, receives; and the one who seeks, finds.
- People: We ask for forgiveness and we seek a new life.
- Leader: Then our sins are forgiven and our lives are made new in Christ our Lord.
- ALL: THANKS BE TO GOD. ALLELUIA! AMEN!!
- Response 579: “Glory Be to the Father” – GLORIA PATRI
- Passing of the Peace
- Time for Young Disciples – Christiaan Faul
- Anthem: “Jesus Christ the Apple Tree” – Elizabeth Posten
- Scripture: Mark 9:2-9
- Sermon: TRANSFIGURING – Reverend Joel Weible, Pastor
- Download the sermon to play on your own audio device: 021118 SERMON jw
- Hymn 73: “Swiftly Pass the Clouds of Glory” – GENEVA
- Affirmation of Faith – from THE IONA COMMUNITY
- We believe that God hopes and works for a world where all shall be included in the feast of life and that in Christ we see how costly it is to bring that world about.
- We believe that God of all the earth is at work beyond the churches as well as within them, working for justice, so that all may have a say in what happens to them.
- We long for the time when all who hunger and thirst for justice shall be satisfied and we believe that despite the persistence of evil, now is always the time when more good can be done and we can make a difference. Amen.
- CHURCH NEWS!
- Time of Giving Thanks – Reverend Joel Weible, Pastor
- Prayers of the People and the Lord’s Prayer
- Offertory: “Sheep May Safely Graze, BWV 209” – J.S. Bach
- Doxology 592: “Praise God From Whom All Blessings Flow”
- Prayer of Dedication (unison)
- Generous God, you are our portion and our cup. In you our hearts are glad, our souls rejoice, and our bodies rest. Bless and multiply our offerings this morning that they may bring the joy of your presence more deeply into the world. Amen.
- Hymn 481: “Praise the Lord, God’s Glories Show” – LLANFAIR
- Charge and Benediction – Reverend Joel Weible, Pastor
- The Ringing of the Bell
- Postlude: “The Church’s One Foundation” – arranged by Samuel Metzger