FIRST SUNDAY AFTER CHRISTMAS DAY
- Gathering Music – “In the Bleak Midwinter” – arr. by Mark Hayes
- The Ringing of the Bell
- Words of Welcome – Rev. Joel Weible, Pastor
- Prelude: Festival on “Divinum Mysterium” – arr. by David Cherwien
- Call to Worship – Worship Leader and congregation
- Leader: The year past were the days that the Lord made.
- People: We were glad and rejoiced in them.
- Leader: The year ahead will be the days that the Lord will make.
- People: We will rejoice and be glad in them.
- Leader: Today is the day the Lord has made.
- People: We will rejoice and be glad for today!
- ALL: LET US GIVE THANKS AND SING!
- Hymn 28: “Good Christian Friends, Rejoice” – IN DULCI JUBILO
- Call to Confession and Prayer (unison)
- Gracious God, we have sought you in high and holy places; we are ill-prepared to acknowledge your presence in the simple newness that this day brings. We are anxious, even on this last day, about the year ahead. We believe that you are profound but we already overlook the obvious truth so easily sung last week on Christmas Day: You are with us. Turn us, incarnate God, by the simple wonders of your love, to a rebirth of faith and hope and joy. In Christ’s name hear our prayer of return in the New Year ahead …
- Assurance of Pardon – Worship Leader and congregation
- Leader: On this Sunday after Christmas, God has given us a new name.
- People: We shall no longer be called Wounded, Outcast, Lonely, or Afraid.
- Leader: Our new name shall be The Holy People, the Redeemed of the Lord. For we are forgiven.
- People: Let us take up our new name with new confidence to live in the coming year as the people of God we are called to be.
- ALL: MAY OTHERS SEEK GOD’S FACE BECAUSE OF US IN THE YEAR AHEAD.
- Response 411: “Arise, Your Light Is Come!” – FESTAL SONG
- Passing of the Peace
- Anthem – ‘Twas in the Moon of Wintertime” – UNE JEUNE PUCELLE
- Scripture: Luke 2:25-32
- Homily: OUR EYES HAVE SEEN – Reverend Joel Weible, Pastor
- Download the message to play on your own audio device: 123117 SERMON jw
- Hymn Selections: A Christmas Medley
- Hymn 25: “Away in a Manger” – MUELLER
- Hymn 29: “Go, Tell It on the Mountain” – GO TELL IT
- Hymn 31: “Hark! The Herald Angels Sing” – MENDELSSOHN
- Affirmation of Faith (unison) – from the IONA COMMUNITY
- With the whole church … We affirm that we are made in God’s image, befriended by Christ, and empowered by the Spirit.
- With people everywhere … We affirm God’s goodness at the heart of humanity, planted more deeply than all that is wrong.
- With all creation … We affirm and celebrate the miracle and wonder of life and the unfolding purposes of God, forever at work in ourselves and the world. Amen.
- Time of Giving Thanks – Rev. Joel Weible, Pastor
- Prayers of the People and the Lord’s Prayer
- Offertory: “Pastorale in F” – J.S. Bach
- Doxology 592: “Praise God, from Whom All Blessings Flow”
- Prayer of Dedication (unison)
- These gifts, O God, are first from you, signs of your bounty meant for all of your children. We joyously give you thanks for all that we have and ask your blessing on our morning’s offering. Turn our lives to your will as we receive and as we give, for the sake of your children everywhere. Amen.
- Hymn 23: “Angels We Have Heard on High” – GLORIA
- Charge and Benediction Rev. Joel Weible, Pastor
- The Ringing of the Bell
- Postlude: “For Unto Us a Child is Born” – G.F. Handel