FIRST SUNDAY IN ADVENT
- A TIME OF SILENT REFLECTION
- THE RINGING OF THE BELL
- LIGHTING OF THE ADVENT CANDLE – The Weible Family
- Today we begin the season of Advent by lighting the first of five candles in our Advent wreath. Each candle this year will represent different understandings of Incarnation: As Christians, we experience God as “Word.” God has spoken to us in creation. God has spoken to us in the person of Jesus. God has spoken to us in scripture. As we light our first candle let us consider how we, too, are God’s Word made Flesh.
- Dear God of the Word, give us this day the courage to find your creative Word in our own life. Give us the courage to, like Jesus before us, claim our identity as your Word Incarnate. What has come into being in us is life. And that life is the light of all people. May it be so. Amen.
- OPENING HYMN NO. 9: “O Come, O Come, Emmanuel” – VENI EMMANUEL
- CALL TO CONFESSION – Annie Weible and congregation
- Now is the time to wake from sleep. Salvation is near. Let us confess our sins:
- God our Maker, we confess that we are not ready to meet You. We study the trends of our times and ignore the signs of Your reign. We trust in things that pass away and forget Your eternal promise. Forgive us, God of grace. Strengthen us, by Your hand, so that we may be ready for that day when You come to reign in glory; through Jesus Christ our Lord, hear our silent prayers of return…
- ASSURANCE OF PARDON (unison)
- Every valley is lifted up; every mountain, made low. Now the glory of the Lord is revealed, for the mouth of the Lord has spoken. In the name of Jesus Christ, we are forgiven! Thanks be to God.
- CONGREGATIONAL RESPONSE, HYMN NO. 1
- PASSING OF THE PEACE
- TIME WITH THE YOUNGER DISCIPLES – Rev. Joel Weible, Pastor
- MUSICAL OFFERING – The Chancel Choir: “Every Valley” – J.N. BECK
- SCRIPTURE LESSON: John 1:1-5, 14, 18
- SERMON: INCARNATION: THE WORD – Reverend Joel Weible, Pastor
- Download the sermon to play on your own device: 120218 sermon jw
- PROCLAMATION HYMN NO. 13: “Prepare the Way” – BEREDEN VAG FOR HERRAN
- AFFIRMATION OF FAITH – FROM A BRIEF STATEMENT OF FAITH (unison)
- In a broken and fearful world, God’s Spirit gives us courage to pray without ceasing, to witness among all peoples to Christ as Lord and Savior, to unmask idolatries in church and culture, to hear the voices of peoples long silenced, and to work with others for justice, freedom and peace.
- In gratitude to God and empowered by the Spirit, we strive to serve Christ in our daily tasks and to live holy and faithful lives, even as we watch for God’s new heaven and earth, saying: “Come Lord Jesus!”
- TIME OF GIVING THANKS – Rev. Joel Weible, Pastor
- CELEBRATIONS AND ANNOUNCEMENTS
- PRAYERS OF THE PEOPLE AND THE LORD’S PRAYER
- PRESENTATION OF GIFTS, TITHES, AND OFFERINGS
- OFFERTORY: “Branle de L’Officiel” – ANDREW UNSWORTH
- PRAYER OF DEDICATION (unison)
- We give you thanks and praise, O God, that you have built us up in faith and bound us together in love. By your grace, may all that we do show the glory of your name and serve the good of your people, through Jesus Christ, our Lord. Amen.
- THE SACRAMENT OF HOLY COMMUNION
- Communion setting 1: “Let All Mortal Flesh Keep Silence” – Kirke Mechem
- Communion setting 2: “E’en so, Lord Jesus, Quickly Come” – Paul Manz
- CLOSING HYMN NO. 15: “Rejoice! Rejoice, Believers” – LLANGLOFFAN
- CHARGE AND BENEDICTION – Reverend Joel Weible, Pastor
- THE RINGING OF THE BELL
- POSTLUDE: “Awake! Sleepers, Awake!” – DAVID CHERWIEN