SECOND SUNDAY IN ADVENT
- A TIME OF SILENT REFLECTION
- THE RINGING OF THE BELL
- INTROIT (ALL): “The Lord is in His Holy Temple”
- LIGHTING OF THE ADVENT CANDLE – Lucy and Mike Yelton
- Today we light the second Advent candle, the Bethlehem candle. This candle is offered in honor of the birthplace of Jesus as well as of the many places where Christ is born in the hearts of believers.
- While Bethlehem was so busy with commerce that it had only a stable to offer Jesus, let our “Bethlehems” be places of warmth and welcome. In honor of Bethlehem we light this candle. (Light Candle) Let us pray together using the prayer in our bulletin …
- Dear God, who comes to us through Jesus at Bethlehem, enable us to open our hearts so that we might have Christ in us. We give you thanks for the places where we meet the Christ. Amen.
- OPENING HYMN NO. 8: “Lift Up Your Heads, Ye Mighty Gates” – TRURO
- CALL TO CONFESSION (unison)
- Now is the time to wake from sleep.
- Salvation is near. Let us confess our sins:
- Gracious and welcoming God, have mercy on your people. We confess this morning that we do not fully believe in your incarnation. We do not heed your word each day in all that we say and do. We too often do not see neighbors, families, and friends as beloved children whom you have made. In your mercy, forgive us, for we repent of our ways and look to your power to heal us and raise us up, so that you will gather us to you and give us peace. In Christ’s name, hear our silent prayers of return …
- ASSURANCE OF PARDON – Ashia Stoess and congregation
- Every valley is lifted up; every mountain, made low.
- Now the glory of the Lord is revealed, for the mouth of the Lord has spoken.
- In the name of Jesus Christ, we are forgiven!
- Thanks be to God.
- CONGREGATIONAL RESPONSE, HYMN NO. 1: “Come, Thou Long-Expected Jesus” – STUTTGART
- PASSING OF THE PEACE
- The peace of Christ be with you.
- And also with you.
- MUSICAL OFFERING – The Chancel Choir: “Come, Shepherds, Rise!” – KEITH CHRISTOPHER
- SCRIPTURE LESSON: Matthew 1:18-23
- SERMON: JESUS: EMMANUEL – Reverend Joel Weible, Pastor
- Download the sermon to play on your own audio device 121017 sermon jw
- PROCLAMATION HYMN NO. 11: “O Lord, How Shall I Meet You?” – VALET WILL ICH DIR GEBEN
- AFFIRMATION OF FAITH (FROM A BRIEF STATEMENT OF FAITH) – Ashia Stoess and congregation
- In a broken and fearful world, God’s Spirit gives us courage to pray without ceasing, to witness among all peoples to Christ as Lord and Savior, to unmask idolatries in church and culture, to hear the voices of peoples long silenced, and to work with others for justice, freedom and peace.
- In gratitude to God and empowered by the Spirit, we strive to serve Christ in our daily tasks and to live holy and faithful lives, even as we watch for God’s new heaven and earth, saying: “Come Lord Jesus!”
- TIME OF GIVING THANKS – Reverend Joel Weible, Pastor
- PRAYERS OF THE PEOPLE AND THE LORD’S PRAYER
- OFFERTORY: “Whisper! Whisper!” – JAY ALTHOUSE
- The Men’s Quartet: James Bates, Richard Ray, Matt Killion, Bob Borders
- DOXOLOGY NO. 592: “Praise God, From Whom All Blessings Flow”
- PRAYER OF DEDICATION (unison)
- We give you thanks and praise, O God, that you have built us up in faith and bound us together in love. By your grace, may all that we do show the glory of your name and serve the good of your people, through Jesus Christ, our Lord. Amen.
- CLOSING HYMN NO. 3: “Comfort, Comfort You My People” – PSALM 42
- CHARGE AND BENEDICTION – Reverend Joel Weible, Pastor
- THE RINGING OF THE BELL
- POSTLUDE: “Awake! Sleepers, Awake!” – DAVID CHERWIEN