An early morning view from the courtyard near the Parish House. (Click for a closer look)
- The Ringing of the Bell
- Words of Welcome – Rev. Joel Weible, Pastor
- Prelude: “Plain-Chant 19” – Francois Couperin
- Call to Worship (Ps 34:1-3) – Mark Lane and congregation
- Leader: We will bless the Lord at all times;
- People: God’s praise shall continually be in our mouths.
- Leader: Our souls make their boast in the Lord;
- People: O magnify the Lord together.
- ALL: LET US EXALT GOD’S LOVE!
- Hymn 483: “Sing Praise to God, Who Reigns Above” – MIT FREUDEN ZART
- Call to Confession and Prayer (unison)
- Merciful God, we confess that we have not lived as your faithful children. We have been angry with the world and nursed grudges against our adversaries. We have hoarded the fruits of our labors rather than share our bounty with the needy. We have not built up our neighbors with words of kindness but have indulged in hurtful gossip. We have not forgiven the wrongs other have done, even though we desire our own forgiveness. Heal us, O God, and give us the grace to love as Christ loves. In His name, hear our silent prayers of return …
- Assurance of Pardon – Mark Lane and congregation
- Leader: God loves us and frees us from all that we do to turn away from the transformative power of belief.
- People: God hears our cries and questions, and promises to remain in covenant with us.
- Leader: In the name of the Risen One, who came, who comes, and who is to come again, the heavy weight of our doubt is lifted.
- People: We are forgiven and may begin again to love as Christ loves.
- ALL: ALLELUIA! AMEN.
- Response 579: “Glory Be to the Father” – GLORIA PATRI
- Passing of the Peace
- Time for Young Disciples – Rev. Joel Weible, Pastor
- Anthem: “Lord, Here Am I” – arranged by John Ness Beck
- The Summer Choir
- Scripture: 1 Thessalonians 5:13a-23
- Sermon: COMMUNITY NOT COMMODITY – Rev. Joel Weible, Pastor
- Hymn 358: “Help Us Accept Each Other” – BARONITA
- Affirmation of Faith: “The Apostles’ Creed”
- I believe in God the Father Almighty, Maker of heaven and earth, And in Jesus Christ his only Son our Lord; who was conceived by the Holy Ghost, born of the Virgin Mary, suffered under Pontius Pilate, was crucified, dead, and buried; he descended into hell; the third day he rose again from the dead; he ascended into heaven, and sitteth on the right hand of God the Father Almighty; from thence he shall come to judge the quick and the dead.
- I believe in the Holy Ghost; the holy catholic church; the communion of saints; the forgiveness of sins; the resurrection of the body; and the life everlasting. Amen.
- Time of Giving Thanks – Rev. Joel Weible, Pastor
- Prayers of the People and the Lord’s Prayer
- Call to Offering and Offering
- Offertory: “The King of Love My Shepherd Is” – arranged by Victor Johnson
- Doxology 592: “Praise God, from Whom All Blessings Flow”
- Prayer of Dedication (unison)
- One and Eternal God of time and space, we respond to you with joy as we lift up our tithes and offerings. The opportunity to share is a blessing for which we are very thankful. Your generous provision for our needs prompts us to be generous in return. Accomplish your purposes, we pray, through these gifts and in our lives. Amen.
- Hymn 272: “God of the Sparrow” – ROEDER
- Charge and Benediction – Rev. Joel Weible, Pastor
- The Ringing of the Bell
- Postlude: “There’s A Wideness in God’s Mercy” – arranged by R. Williamson