THIRTEENTH SUNDAY AFTER PENTECOST
- The Ringing of the Bell
- Words of Welcome – Rev. Joel Weible, Pastor
- Prelude: “Chorale for a New Organ” – Samuel Barber
- Call to Worship – Sis Sleadd and congregation
- Leader: In faith, our ancestors set out for a new land, seeking a relationship with a new God.
- People: In faith, we seek to follow God in our lives.
- Leader: In faith, the church seeks to discern the future to which God calls us in our age.
- People: In faith, we gather now to worship, seeking new life in Christ.
- ALL: GOD OF THE PRESENT, PAST, AND FUTURE, GUIDE US NOW TO YOUR NEW AGE OF PROMISE
- Hymn 262: “God of the Ages, Whose Almighty Hand” – NATIONAL HYMN
- Call to Confession and Prayer (unison)
- God of Adam and Eve, of Cain and Abel, of Abraham and Sarah, God of all our mothers and fathers, and God of our children and grandchildren: We give thanks that you are a God who acts in history and yet we confess that we are too often busy with our own lives to perceive you at work in our time, right here and right now. We fall into fear and despair about our troubled world, as if you had no care for us. Forgive our lack of faith and help us to join you as you labor to bring new life on earth. In Christ’s name, hear our silent prayers of return…
- Assurance of Pardon – Sis Sleadd and congregation
- Leader: God loves us and frees us from all that we do to turn away from the transformative power of belief.
- People: God hears our cries and questions, and promises to remain in covenant with us.
- Leader: In the name of the Risen One, who came, who comes, and who is to come again, the heavy weight of our doubt is lifted.
- People: We are forgiven and may begin again to love as Christ loves.
- ALL: ALLELUIA! AMEN.
- Response 579: “Glory Be to the Father” – GLORIA PATRI
- Passing of the Peace
- Time for Young Disciples – Rev. Joel Weible
- Anthem: “Love One Another” – Brad Nix
- The Summer Choir
- Scripture: Ephesians 3:14-21
- Sermon: THE BREADTH, LENGTH, HEIGHT, AND DEPTH OF LOVE – Rev. Joel Weible, Pastor
- Download the sermon to play on your own audio device: 081918 sermon jw
- Hymn 366: “Jesus, Thy Boundless Love to Me” – ST. CATHERINE
- Affirmation of Faith: “The Apostles’ Creed”
- I believe in God the Father Almighty, Maker of heaven and earth, And in Jesus Christ his only Son our Lord; who was conceived by the Holy Ghost, born of the Virgin Mary, suffered under Pontius Pilate, was crucified, dead, and buried; he descended into hell; the third day he rose again from the dead; he ascended into heaven, and sitteth on the right hand of God the Father Almighty; from thence he shall come to judge the quick and the dead.
- I believe in the Holy Ghost; the holy catholic church; the communion of saints; the forgiveness of sins; the resurrection of the body; and the life everlasting. Amen.
- Time of Giving Thanks – Rev. Joel Weible, Pastor
- Prayers of the People and the Lord’s Prayer
- Call to Offering and Offering
- Offertory: “Brother James’ Air” – arranged by M.S. Wright
- Doxology 592 : “Praise God, from Whom All Blessings Flow”
- Prayer of Dedication (unison)
- One and Eternal God of time and space, we respond to you with joy as we lift up our tithes and offerings. The opportunity to share is a blessing for which we are very thankful. Your generous provision for our needs prompts us to be generous in return. Accomplish your purposes, we pray, through these gifts and in our lives. Amen.
- Hymn 438: “Blest Be the Tie That Binds” – DENNIS
- Charge and Benediction
- The Ringing of the Bell
- Postlude: “Celebration on LASST UNS ERFREUEN” – arranged by T. Kendall